Friday, August 1, 2008

It really is a different language

After four months of being immersed among the Brits, I have escaped adopting a faux British accent (though I came perilously close upon arriving). Thankfully. But I have noticed that a few of the words have crept into my everyday use: things like "rubbish" and "flat" (instead of apartment). I really do enjoy how they put things.

The other day I am at work, "subbing", which is British for copy editing, and all of a sudden a word leaps of the screen. "Titbits". Well there is a typo if I've ever seen one, I thought. Wow, good thing I caught that, I thought, congratulating myself a little bit.

Turns out, this is the way you say "tidbit" across the pond. Really.

No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...