Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I thought it was the end of the call to prayer, at first

And despite complaining sometimes, that the call to prayer wakes me up - the one at dawn, particularly - you know what? I was bummed. I would really miss it if it was gone. Then I realised, upon closer inspection of the news article, that it isn't the azan at all, but the iqamat-as-salat, which comes later and signals the beginning of prayers.

I am not sure why the General Authority for Islamic Affairs and Endowments discontinued the after-the-call call, but people aren't very happy about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought that was a really interesting article when I read it yesterday. Especially the bit about not running, but going in a thoughtful manner. I should do more of that myself.

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...