Thursday, January 22, 2009

Only in the UAE, where most people seem to be diabetic already

The Ras al Khaimah Half Marathon goes down Feb 20 and one of the main sponsors is none other than:


I ran a half-marathon a couple of years ago in Toronto and when I crossed the finish line I almost threw the medal back at the person who handed it to me. It was a half-medal. That would only be funny later. 

 I would have much preferred a doughnut, I think. 

Do you think the people who run in RAK next month will pass tables full of fritters and glazed, instead of Gatorade and water? Will their medals have sprinkles, and holes in the middle? Although I am physically unable, after moving here and becoming mired in pubs and cheap cigarettes and takeout food, I almost want to sign up just to find out.

No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...