Friday, January 27, 2012

JR photobooth at Emirati Expressions: Act now for a giant free photograph of yourself that may haunt you forever

This is the last weekend for the Emirati Expressions exhibit at Manarat al Saadiyat and I highly recommend you catch it. I also highly recommend that you take a giant black and white photograph of yourself in JR's Photo Booth and report back to me on whether you survived the experience. JR is a French photographer who has adapted his methods for this show. At last check there were more than 15,500 of these shots taken on more than 20,000 metres of photographic paper. 

They are huge. And although I hear tell of a colleague who so loved his that he had it framed (presumably to post over a home hearth to shock countless future visitors into an awkward silence) most people I talked to, depending on their vanity levels, have been horrified at what popped out. I spent part of yesterday afternoon killing myself laughing as a colleague described the humilation, step-by-step. His conclusion? "I don't think anyone over 30 should even contemplate it."

I am usually an optimist, but I can't help but think not everyone has been as happy as this guy after leaving that booth:















I'd love to hear about your experiences though! Please prove me wrong.



No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...